Owens Corning Roofing systems have helped countless of homeowners make easy decisions for their roofing projects. Knowing your options when updating your roofing system is essential. Whether you are in the process of building a new house or simply renovating and want to update the look of your home, its essential to know the ins and outs of your roof. Or at least to get a simple grasp of what your roofing contractor will be doing for your project.
Oscar Roofing strives in answering all questions that homeowners have and go above and beyond to explain our process. No questions go unanswered and each customer is clear in their expectations and ours before we begin. We believe the more informed a customer is, the better decision they are able to make for their home. Along with our extensive installation training, these are one of the many advantages you receive from working with us.
In this article, we will be discussing one of our favorite brands to work with. Not only do they have a great reputation expanding decades, but they are the leading brand in shingles sold throughout the country. The brand is Owens Corning.
Owens Corning is one of the top companies in the world. They are a Fortune 500 company, and are one of the largest manufacturers of roofing, fiberglass and insulation materials in the world.
Owens Corning Roofing Systems
There is a lot that goes in your roof. The first line of defense, the thing that protects everything inside, is the shingles. Owens Corning offers plenty options of dimensional shingles. There is their standard line of Oakridge shingles, mid range TruDefinition Duration and their premium line, Duration Flex. These all come in different color options and prices. Let’s take a look at some of the features that these shingles all offer.
Protecting your home from rain water and snow is one thing. However, you also have to think about the remnants of these after they are long gone. Moisture can gradually build up over time if the roof is not properly installed. When a quality professional installs a new roof, you don’t have to worry about that. The reason why is that the Owens Corning shingles installed(no matter which type) all have a feature fiberglass mat at its core, this mat is saturated with the shingles made of weather-grade asphalt.
Mineral granules cover the shingles and form a barrier to repel rain water. Plus, during the shingle installation, the heat-activated sealant on each individual shingle bonds along with the next shingle and form a watertight unit of defense.
Think about the hot summer months in Indiana and how the sun is out bright and early around 7am and doesn’t set until 9pm. The scorching heat can make it unbearable to be outside for more than a few minutes. Now, think about how your roof is exposed to this heat, and what’s more, its at a higher altitude so the heat feels even warmer. Now, add the asphalt material shingles and your roof can reach extremely hot temperatures.
But why do these roofs not feel super hot and how come your house does not reach extremely high temperatures? Sure you have to have the air conditioner on but otherwise, it won’t get too hot. Well, this is due to the ventilation system of your home.
A ventilation system is part of a roof installation. Your roofer will talk to you about your current system and install the same or an upgrade, depending on your budget and preference. For example, installing ridge vents or box vents provides the air flow of your house to move through vents. This allows your roof to “breathe” and avoid the heat from centering in your attic and raising the overall temperature in your home.
Lifetime Limited Warranty
This warranty comes with all the shingles in the Owens Corning family. The warranty lasts as long as you own your home(one warranty transfer permitted) and has a standard 110mph wind resistance rating. The wind resistance rating increases when, during your roof installation, you also use Owens Corning starter shingles and the installers use six nails per shingle, not four.
StreakGuard Algae Protection
The shingles made by Owens Corning are made to inhibit the growth of algae and slow down its growth. Owens Corning also provides up to 10 years of streak guard protection for brown or black stains that can appear on your roof due to algae. Of course, the weather conditions and geographical location of your home have a direct impact on how your roof functions.
Owens Corning Oakridge Shingles
Owens Corning’s standard line is their oakridge shingles. These are their base line and a great choice for homeowners who want a great product while being on a budget. There are over 10 colors to choose from, oakridge shingles are also dimensional, which is a great advance from the older 3 tab style. The dimensional look is able to provide more wind and hail resistance. Overall oakridge shingles are a great start-up product without breaking the bank.
TruDefinition Duration and Flex Shingles
- Patent technology for better performance. The Duration shingle series or Architectural shingles and flex series feature a unique, patented feature called SureNail. Made by Owens Corning, this technology consists of a strip that offers an additional layer of reinforcement along the nail line. This makes the number of layers to three in total, making sure that the nail is fastened more securely than ever. There won’t be any blown off nails in your home with 2.5X nail pull resistance.
- Better installation than ever. The fabric that is on every TruDefinition and Flex shingle is a white color, against the dark underside of the shingle, making it easier for the installers to put the nail through accurately every time. In fact, by installing the nails with the SureNail technology, the common bond area is 200% more than regular installations.
- Duration Flex is a class 4 SBS shingle, meaning their class impact is the highest available on the market
- Made of a combination of SBS polymer and modified asphalt. Therefore, they have more flexibility and additional durability, due to their rubber SBS polymer properties
- Duration Flex also has all the additional add-ons from the Oakridge and Duration line shingles
Owens Corning Roofing Systems Options and Training
Oscar Roofing is proud to offer the following roofing system packages, all of these include Owens Corning materials. Of course, customization’s for each home is available, depending on the materials and price range of the homeowner’s choosing.
An advantage of working with Oscar Roofing is the packages you can choose from. Keep reading to find out more about our three exclusive roofing system packages. One thing to keep in mind is that each tier does line up with the respective shingle type, for example, oakridge shingles can only be applied with Roofguard roofing systems.
RoofGuard Roofing System:
- Can be used along with Owens Corning Oakridge Shingles
- Includes 2x stronger nail pull-resistance
- 110 mph wind resistance warranty coverage
- Algae Resistance Coverage
- Limited Lifetime Warranty Coverage*
- Has numerous color options to choose from
RoofGuard+ Roofing System:
- Includes Owens Corning Duration Series Shingles
- Up to 2.5X better nail-pull resistance
- Includes the Owens Corning patented SureNail technology at the nailing zone in order to provide an additional layer of reinforcement
- Standard Limited Lifetime warranty coverage
- Algae resistance coverage
- 130 mph wind resistance warranty coverage
- TruDefinition color palette includes a wide variety of colors to choose from
ThunderGuard Roofing System:
- Features the Owens Corning Duration FLEX Shingles
- Patented SureNail Technology for reinforcement in the nailing zone area
- Made of SBS modified asphalt, making the shingles pliable. The shingles are more flexible, thus are less likely to crack and are one of the toughest shingles
- Limited Lifetime warranty coverage*
- 130 mph wind resistance warranty coverage
- The most versatile shingle colors available
Owens Corning Roofing Systems
When leaning towards a roof repair, you have to think about the best roofing system for your house. Depending on certain aspects, like the weather and budget will help you determine which system is best for you. Oscar Roofing proudly offers Owens Corning shingles as part of our Oscar Roofing system. When we work with Owens Corning, we are able to provide our customers the best, high-quality roofing products and installation services in the market.
Let us know how to help you today! Contact us for more information about our services and schedule your free, in depth roof inspection.
*20-40 Year Limited Warranty available. Please see the actual Owens Corning warranty page for additional details, exclusions and additional information.
The SureNail Technology is patented by Owens Corning. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Contact us for additional information about our package options or our other services available. We are an Owens Corning preferred contractor and service the Bloomington, Indianapolis, Fishers and Carmel areas. Have questions? Fill out our contact form here. We are experts in oakridge shingles, duration, duration flex and even other brands.
Want to read our reviews? Check out our google page. Or check out our Facebook page for more review information.
Asphalt shingles not your cup of tea? We also provide flat roof services for residential and commercial roofs. We have over 10 years in flat roof installation training.