Today, we are providing some tips on how to choose the best exterior paint colors for your Indianapolis home and surrounding areas, like Fishers and Bloomington. If you’re getting ready to repaint your home exterior, then read some of these tips to help you choose the best color if you live in the Hoosier state. As you know, Indiana is prone to all types of weather and choosing the best paint and finish will help lessen the upkeep of your home. At the same time, a fresh coat of paint will increase the curb appeal and give your house a brand new look.
Preparing your Home
- First, pressure wash the exterior to remove dirt or any grime that has built up over time. Pressure washing removes most of the dirt that has been sitting on the exterior surface area.
- Next, manually scrape any loose paint that you may spot throughout the exterior
- If you find any rough surfaces, sand these down to make them smooth. Smooth areas will make sure that the paint is applied correctly and there won’t be any hard lines or spots.
- When looking around the exterior, if you find any holes or areas that look worn or damaged then apply caulk to the areas.
- Patch any other areas that you might find
- Apply primer before you start any painting, this will ensure that the paint sticks and the paint job will last longer. Primer is itself a sealer and helps the material absorb the paint properly.
Choosing the Correct Exterior Paint Color
Oscar Roofing is proud to use Sherwin-Williams, Valspar, BEHR, and Benjamin Moore painting products. These painting types depend on the projects and materials that are being worked on. A quality exterior paint will be able to withstand any weather conditions, protect wood surfaces of the home and will not need any frequent touch-ups.
One of our favorite paints for exterior homes: Sherwin-Williams Duration Exterior Acrylic Latex
Duration paint is made with acrylic polymers that are advanced and provide lasting durability and also contains acrylic solids and is self-priming, so there’s no need for priming the materials. One coat should be good for pre-painted homes and two if the material being used on is bare wood.Even if its fall or early winter, Duration paint can be applied when its 35 degrees or lower. Sherwin-Williams Duration comes in over 100 color options to choose from and one gallon of paint covers 300 square feet.
While this option is more expensive than the others on this list, the pros definitely outweighs the high price. Duration acrylic latex resists cracking and peeling and has a low-VOC formula.
Rust-Oleum 3104 Zinsser PermaWhite Exterior
Zinsser PermaWhite helps update the look of your siding, sheds and outdoor furniture while being a more economical choice. At the same time, Zinser PermaWhite is also self-priming, provides great coverage and blocks stains from showing through. One gallon of Zinnser PermaWhite is able to cover 100 square feet and comes in a semi-gloss sheen. While this paint is more economical, the only color it comes in is white.
Valspar Duramax Flat Masonry and Stucco Paint
One of the best paints for brick or stucco is the Valspar Duramax latex paint. This paint is made of elastomers that help prevent peeling and cracking while the drying leaves a flat finish to make any imperfections invisible. It will not crack or peel under any weather condition and even resists mildew and mold.
Best Exterior Paint Colors for Indianapolis
Below we are showing some of our favorite exterior paint colors and paint jobs as well as some of the Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore inspired look.
- Sherwin-Williams, colors shown are: Irish Cream(SW 7537) and Virtual Taupe(SW 7039)
2. Sherwin-Williams, colors shown are: Colonnade Gray(SW 7641), Panda White(SW 6147), Roycroft Brass(SW 2843) and Roycroft Copper Red(SW 2839)
3.Sherwin-Williams, colors shown are: San Antonio Sage(SW 7731), Pier(SW 7545) and Red Barn(SW 7591)
4. Sherwin-Williams, colors shown are: Sensible Hue, Dress Blues and Extra White.
5. Sherwin-Williams, colors shown are: Evening Shadow, Foggy Day.
6.Sherwin Williams, colors shown are: Tavern Taupe, Pavilion Beige, Homestead brown and Rustic red.
7. Benjamin Moore, colors shown are: Boston Brick(2092-30), wedding veil(2125-70) and black tar(2126-10).
8. Benjamin Moore, colors shown are: Stonington Gray(HC-170), edgecomb gray(HC-173) and narragansett green(HC-157).
Exterior Paint Colors
While we have gone over some of the best exterior paints, exterior paint colors and their pros and cons, we have also provided examples of some of the most popular Sherwin-Williams and Benjamin Moore colors for homes to choose from. When you are looking for a painting contractor for your next exterior or interior home project, look no further. Oscar Roofing has been helping customers with their painting projects since 2003! We are licensed, bonded and insured and our goal is to provide the best customer service for our clients.
Contact our Indianapolis, Bloomington or Fishers office today.